Native Lights is a weekly, half-hour radio program hosted by Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe members and siblings, Leah Lemm and Cole Premo. Native Lights is a space for people in Native communities around Mni Sota Mkoce — a.k.a. Minnesota — to tell their stories about finding their gifts and sharing them with the community.
Native Lights – Donald Eubanks’ Gift for Speaking Out for Racial and Social Justice
On today’s show, we speak with fellow podcaster and Mille Lacs band member Donald Eubanks who recently retired from teaching social work at Metropolitan University, where he was an associate professor. Previously, Donald Eubanks served two terms as Commissioner of Health and Human Services for the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe.
We enjoyed this wide-ranging thoughtful conversation with Don, who has many insights and opinions to share! We admire Don’s passion for using his voice to speak up, educate, and fight for racial and social justice – on his weekly Counter Stories podcast and now in new roles as a Cultural Consultant serving organizations striving for equity and change.
Donald Eubanks co-hosts the Counter Stories podcast: https://counterstoriespodcast.org/
Native Lights: Where Indigenous Voices Shine is produced by Minnesota Native News and Ampers, Diverse Radio for Minnesota’s Communities with support from the Minnesota Arts and Cultural Heritage fund. Online at https://minnesotanativenews.org/
Subscribe to Native Lights wherever you get your podcasts
More from Native Lights
- Derek Nicholas: Indigenous Fare for Future GenerationsLeah and Cole have a conversation with Derek Nicholas (Red Cliff Band of Ojibwe) about food sovereignty and Indigenous cooking. Derek shares his experiences as the Nutrition Program Coordinator at the Division of Indian Work in Minneapolis; his views on culturally, seasonally appropriate foods; and about the growing, multi-faceted Indigenous food community.
- Heather Friedli: Revealing Nature’s AllureHeather creates vivid landscapes inspired by her family’s Native American and Mexican heritage and her time exploring the natural world. In addition to painting, Heather is also a professional snow sculptor and recently appeared in Disney’s Best In Snow sculpting competition.
- Rita Walaszek Arndt: Representation in HistoryRita is focused on Indigenous representation in the historical society and encourages people to think differently about the land now known as Minnesota.
- Susie Ballot and Lera Hephner’s Work to Preserve Culture Across GenerationsToday Leah shares her conversations with Susie Ballot and Lera Hephner from White Earth Nation’s cohort of Indigenous Parent Leadership Initiative (IPLI). As graduates of the initiative, they’ve begun projects to deepen connections between their communities and culture.
- Duane Goodwin: Expressing Culture Through SculptureNative Lights is a weekly, half-hour radio program hosted by Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe members and siblings, Leah Lemm and Cole Premo. Native Lights is a space for people in Native communities around Mni Sota Mkoce — a.k.a. Minnesota — to tell their stories about finding their gifts and sharing them with the community. …