Join Lily, Ogimaa, and Ellie on a journey to find medicines for Grandma Mindy.
Author Elizabeth Barrett and illustrator Jonathan Thunder bring young readers along Mashkiki Road, where they meet animals who introduce the Seven Grandfather Teachings.
The colors are vibrant, as is the story. My son recently read the book to his younger cousin, and they remembered all the Ojibwe names of the wise beings the story introduced.
Multiple book launch events are planned including at the Red Lake Boys and Girls Club on July 14th. More information at https://www.mnhs.org/
Leah Lemm reporting for MN Native News, originally excerpted from the MN Native News broadcast July 7th
Subscribe to Minnesota Native News in your favorite podcast app
- Help Finding COVID Vaccines for Young Children and InfantsThis week on Minnesota Native News Health Report, reporter Emma Needham talks with an M.D. about recommendations for COVID vaccines for our littlest relatives, and provides additional information on vaccine availability.
- Juliet Rudie Leads Minnesota’s new Office of Missing And Murdered Indigenous RelativesShe talks about how culture leads the work she does and how Native teachings help empower, educate, and mentor Native families, children, and childcare providers. Barb has led numerous projects that aim to improve childcare systems throughout Indian country.
- AIM Co-Director Frank Paro Reflects On The PandemicParo and Lisa Bellinger became national co-directors of AIM in May of 2020, in the early months of the pandemic and just days before the murder of George Floyd.
- Barb Fabre’s Gift for Empowering Native Families and ChildrenShe talks about how culture leads the work she does and how Native teachings help empower, educate, and mentor Native families, children, and childcare providers. Barb has led numerous projects that aim to improve childcare systems throughout Indian country.
- New COVID-19 Vaccine, Same PandemicU.S. health officials recently approved a new COVID-19 vaccine option for adults, hoping it will appeal to people that have yet to receive a single dose. This vaccine is called Novavax and it’s used across Europe, as well as in Canada, Australia, South Korea and other countries