Native Lights is a weekly, half-hour radio program hosted by Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe members and siblings, Leah Lemm and Cole Premo. Native Lights is a space for people in Native communities around Mni Sota Mkoce — a.k.a. Minnesota — to tell their stories about finding their gifts and sharing them with the community.
On today’s show, we talk with Emma Needham (Red Lake Nation). She is a mother, water protector, and reporter. We talk with Emma about the impacts of environmental issues locally and nationally, and how caring about those issues led her on her journey of storytelling. Emma co-hosts and reports on Indigenous issues as a part of Native Roots Radio’s daily radio show “I’m Awake” and for us at Minnesota Native News.
We loved hearing Emma’s thoughts about independent journalism and the importance of Indigenous perspectives in media. Miigwech Emma Needham for the great conversation!
Native Lights: Where Indigenous Voices Shine is produced by Minnesota Native News and Ampers, Diverse Radio for Minnesota’s Communities with support from the Minnesota Arts and Cultural Heritage fund.
Subscribe to Native Lights wherever you get your podcasts
More from Native Lights
- Derek Nicholas: Indigenous Fare for Future GenerationsLeah and Cole have a conversation with Derek Nicholas (Red Cliff Band of Ojibwe) about food sovereignty and Indigenous cooking. Derek shares his experiences as the Nutrition Program Coordinator at the Division of Indian Work in Minneapolis; his views on culturally, seasonally appropriate foods; and about the growing, multi-faceted Indigenous food community.
- Heather Friedli: Revealing Nature’s AllureHeather creates vivid landscapes inspired by her family’s Native American and Mexican heritage and her time exploring the natural world. In addition to painting, Heather is also a professional snow sculptor and recently appeared in Disney’s Best In Snow sculpting competition.
- Rita Walaszek Arndt: Representation in HistoryRita is focused on Indigenous representation in the historical society and encourages people to think differently about the land now known as Minnesota.
- Susie Ballot and Lera Hephner’s Work to Preserve Culture Across GenerationsToday Leah shares her conversations with Susie Ballot and Lera Hephner from White Earth Nation’s cohort of Indigenous Parent Leadership Initiative (IPLI). As graduates of the initiative, they’ve begun projects to deepen connections between their communities and culture.
- Duane Goodwin: Expressing Culture Through SculptureNative Lights is a weekly, half-hour radio program hosted by Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe members and siblings, Leah Lemm and Cole Premo. Native Lights is a space for people in Native communities around Mni Sota Mkoce — a.k.a. Minnesota — to tell their stories about finding their gifts and sharing them with the community. …