Native Lights is a weekly, half-hour radio program hosted by Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe members and siblings, Leah Lemm and Cole Premo. Native Lights is a space for people in Native communities around Mni Sota Mkoce — a.k.a. Minnesota — to tell their stories about finding their gifts and sharing them with the community.
Today we’re talking with Brian Joyce (White Earth Nation), who has been acting and directing in the Twin Cities Theater scene for more than 40 years. Brian first appeared on stage in St. Paul at the age of four, and later earned his BA in Theatre Arts from Bethel College. Brian has been enjoying acting onstage and working behind the scenes, ever since. He also appears in some commercials and films.
Brian shares his insights about humor and fun being key ingredients of daily life and explains what being a theater director has taught him about patience and working with others. Brian also tells us about his work with the WIOA (Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act) Program Director at the Minneapolis American Indian Center, where helps people find and train for jobs.
We discuss the exciting and profound work going on with two Indigenous-led companies: New Native Theatre and Turtle Theater. And, coming soon, Brian will direct shows for Theatre in the Round and Lakeshore Players Theatre.
Break a leg, Brian! Chi miigwech for this enjoyable conversation!
Would you or someone you know be a great guest on Native Lights? Drop us line at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Native Lights: Where Indigenous Voices Shine is produced by Minnesota Native News and Ampers, Diverse Radio for Minnesota’s Communities with support from the Minnesota Arts and Cultural Heritage fund.
Subscribe to Native Lights wherever you get your podcasts
More from Minnesota Native News
- Celebrating Indigenous People’s Day!Today we talk about different ways Indigenous People’s Day is being recognized and celebrated throughout Mni Sota Mkoce.
- Brian Joyce’s Gift for Acting and Directing in the Twin Cities Theater SceneToday we’re talking with Brian Joyce (White Earth Nation), who has been acting and directing in the Twin Cities Theater scene for more than 40 years. Brian first appeared on stage in St. Paul at the age of four, and later earned his BA in Theatre Arts from Bethel College. Brian has been enjoying acting onstage and working behind the scenes, ever since. He also appears in some commercials and films.
- Rob Pero’s Gift for Entrepreneurship, Media, and MarketingOn today’s show, we’re speaking with entrepreneur Rob Pero (Bad River Tribe), CEO and creative director of the Indigenous-led marketing firm Perodigm. He’s also the voice behind Minnesota’s statewide “Your Call MN” campaign raising awareness about sex trafficking.
- Leah and Cole: Sharing Our Gifts and PurposeOn today’s show, we turn the microphone on each other! No guest today… instead, we ask each other some questions about our own purpose and passions, starting with music.
- Christina Wood’s Gift for Busting Bias Through ArtOn today’s show, we talk with Christina Woods (Bois Forte Tribal Nation) who is the first Anishinaabikwe to be the Executive Director of the Duluth Art Institute. Christina is also currently performing in the play The UnPlugging presented by New Native Theatre in Minneapolis.