Host Leah Lemm (Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe) is back exploring how Indian Country in MN is responding and adapting to the current pandemic health crisis.
On today’s show, Leah catches up with Daniel Frye (Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians), who is the Director of Indian Health Services in the Bemidji Area, which includes Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and the urban center of Chicago.
Daniel speaks about the many ways that Indian Health Services has risen to meet the challenges of the pandemic, including the complex process of vaccine distribution, ongoing COVID testing, and how things are changing now that restrictions are loosening.
Daniel and Leah discuss some of the changes the world has gone through since the pandemic began, how it brought many lessons both personally and professionally, and how these tools and valuable insights can be carried into the future, to keep each other healthy.
More from Native Lights
- The Impact of Illegally Killing a Red Lake Bear and Water Protectors Continue their WorkThis week on Minnesota Native News, we hear from water protectors continuing their work to stop Line 3 and a Red Lake elder speaks out on the impact of the illegal killing of a bear on the reservation.
- Braiding Our Stories Together at Northern SparkNorthern Spark, the annual art festival, opens June 12th. The theme this year is Alchemy, which has different meanings. One of which is the process of transformation, creation, or combination. One of the opening public art pieces is called Braiding Our Stories Together. Reporter Leah Lemm has more.
- New Productions for SpringThis week on Minnesota Native News, it’s spring and the end of the Covid lockdown. Producer Laurie Stern has the story of two very different new productions.
- Language Teaches CultureThis week on Minnesota Native News, efforts are underway across the Americas to bring back native languages. Emma Needham has two stories of Ojibwe Language revitalization in Minnesota.
- Opportunities for Sharing and LearningThe Mitchell Hamline School of Law seeks to address systemic racism in Minnesota’s criminal justice system… And a new scholarship program wants to help descendants of Indian Boarding Schools… Plus, do you or someone you know have an Indigenous story of strength to showcase? Online nominations are open!Reporter Leah Lemm has these stories…