Host Leah Lemm (Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe) is back exploring how Indian Country in MN is responding and adapting to the current pandemic health crisis.
On today’s show, Leah catches up with Daniel Frye (Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians), who is the Director of Indian Health Services in the Bemidji Area, which includes Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and the urban center of Chicago.
Daniel speaks about the many ways that Indian Health Services has risen to meet the challenges of the pandemic, including the complex process of vaccine distribution, ongoing COVID testing, and how things are changing now that restrictions are loosening.
Daniel and Leah discuss some of the changes the world has gone through since the pandemic began, how it brought many lessons both personally and professionally, and how these tools and valuable insights can be carried into the future, to keep each other healthy.
More from Native Lights
- New MN Poet Laureate, Publishing Celebration, and Wise Words for Changing TimesDr. Gwen Nell Westerman has been appointed the new MN Poet Laureate. And a celebration is being held soon for the publication of five Ojibwe language books. And also, Dr Antony Stately, CEO of the Native American Community Clinic, shares wise words on the radio.
- Reservation Dogs Review: “I Feel Represented”This week on Minnesota Native News, we dive into the new hit series Reservation Dogs, which is mid-way through its first season. Reservation Dogs is an all-indigenous production. Diego Luke reports.
- A Protest and a PlayThis week on Minnesota Native News, the Line Three protest comes to the capitol and – New Native Theater takes its new show to the street.
- Leadership Program Opens ApplicationsApplications for the 12th cohort of the Native Nations Rebuilders Program are now open. The program is operated by the Native Governance Center, and the Native American Community Clinic in Minneapolis is now requiring COVID-19 vaccinations for its health center staff. Native Nations Rebuilders, the two year leadership development program, begins this coming December. It …
- In My ShoesThis week on Minnesota Native News, the sound of young people growing and community healing. Laurie Stern reports on a new production that will soon be available for all to see