Over 60 percent of Minnesotans 16 and older have been vaccinated for COVID-16.
Minnesota ranks in the top ten by state for percentage of COVID vaccines administered.
Governor Tim Walz has credited Tribal communities within Minnesota for setting the pace and for showing how to get vaccines to those who need them most.
These sovereign nations have been so effective because they focused vaccination efforts on elders and multi-generational households for native and non-native residents within their lands. Tribal leaders also made getting shots easier, bringing the vaccine to those who might have barriers to accessing it.
President Joe Biden too wants to make vaccinations more convenient.
One way is through the government website VACCINES dot GOV. There you can input your zip code to find vaccines near you. You can designate how far you’re willing to travel, one to 25 miles. And you can limit results by selecting a preferred vaccine: Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson.
The search results offer a list of available providers by distance and whether vaccines are in or out of stock. By clicking the provider, you can check availability and make an appointment.
A map, directions, phone number and link to the provider’s website are also given.
Beginning May 24, Uber and Lyft will be offering free round-trip rides to vaccination clinics. This is part of a federal effort to get at least one dose into at least 70 percent of Americans by July 4.
More from Native Lights
- Food For Thought- Bringing Back Indigenous FoodsThe movement to rebuild Indigenous Food Sovereignty is getting help from many sources. This week on Minnesota Native News, reporter Emma Needham shares a story on writers and community partnerships working to bring back Native food practices in Minnesota.
- New MN Poet Laureate, Publishing Celebration, and Wise Words for Changing TimesDr. Gwen Nell Westerman has been appointed the new MN Poet Laureate. And a celebration is being held soon for the publication of five Ojibwe language books. And also, Dr Antony Stately, CEO of the Native American Community Clinic, shares wise words on the radio.
- Reservation Dogs Review: “I Feel Represented”This week on Minnesota Native News, we dive into the new hit series Reservation Dogs, which is mid-way through its first season. Reservation Dogs is an all-indigenous production. Diego Luke reports.
- A Protest and a PlayThis week on Minnesota Native News, the Line Three protest comes to the capitol and – New Native Theater takes its new show to the street.
- Leadership Program Opens ApplicationsApplications for the 12th cohort of the Native Nations Rebuilders Program are now open. The program is operated by the Native Governance Center, and the Native American Community Clinic in Minneapolis is now requiring COVID-19 vaccinations for its health center staff. Native Nations Rebuilders, the two year leadership development program, begins this coming December. It …