Following a rash of travel-related COVID-19 cases, health officials are urging testing for travelers returning to Minnesota.
According to the Minnesota Department of Health, four Minnesotans have contracted the P.1. COVID variant after a stay at The Grand at Moon Palace in Cancun, Mexico. They were staying at the resort in mid-March.
The P.1. variant was first detected in Brazil.
Meanwhile, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a Level 4 travel advisory for Americans, urging no travel to Mexico due to high COVID-19 transmission.
Minnesota Health’s Deputy State Epidemiologist, Dr. Richard Danila, says anyone who has traveled internationally is recommended to test three to five days after their return, even if they have been vaccinated. They’re also advised to be on the lookout for symptoms.
Those who are not vaccinated are recommended to quarantine, in addition to testing, upon their return.
Health officials say travelers should wear face masks, physically distance, avoid crowds and wash hands frequently. Unvaccinated travelers should test one to three days before departure, and should not travel if sick or exposed to someone with COVID-19.
More information on COVID-19 variant strains can be found on Minnesota Health Department’s website. The CDC’s website will have information on travel precautions and testing.
More from Native Lights
- Food For Thought- Bringing Back Indigenous FoodsThe movement to rebuild Indigenous Food Sovereignty is getting help from many sources. This week on Minnesota Native News, reporter Emma Needham shares a story on writers and community partnerships working to bring back Native food practices in Minnesota.
- New MN Poet Laureate, Publishing Celebration, and Wise Words for Changing TimesDr. Gwen Nell Westerman has been appointed the new MN Poet Laureate. And a celebration is being held soon for the publication of five Ojibwe language books. And also, Dr Antony Stately, CEO of the Native American Community Clinic, shares wise words on the radio.
- Reservation Dogs Review: “I Feel Represented”This week on Minnesota Native News, we dive into the new hit series Reservation Dogs, which is mid-way through its first season. Reservation Dogs is an all-indigenous production. Diego Luke reports.
- A Protest and a PlayThis week on Minnesota Native News, the Line Three protest comes to the capitol and – New Native Theater takes its new show to the street.
- Leadership Program Opens ApplicationsApplications for the 12th cohort of the Native Nations Rebuilders Program are now open. The program is operated by the Native Governance Center, and the Native American Community Clinic in Minneapolis is now requiring COVID-19 vaccinations for its health center staff. Native Nations Rebuilders, the two year leadership development program, begins this coming December. It …